As an expert, writing a blog is a great way to demonstrate your knowledge and perspective. It helps prospective clients (or employers) understand how you think, and how you can solve their problems. If you are a marketer, a blog begins to create a community around your products and services. Blogging is one of the most effective marketing activities that you can do - but it takes commitment.
For most people who decide to start a blog, one question eventually pops up: What should I write about? "Me" isn't the correct answer, although it is a frequent one. Instead, consider these alternatives:
- Summarize and link to a current news item.
- Implications/analysis of a current news item.
- Five tips to _____.
- Ask your readers: what do you recommend for______?
- Trends (or predictions) in your industry.
- Ask your readers: what's the biggest challenge you're currently facing?
- Write about an external resource on your subject.
- Interview another expert.
- Have a guest blogger write a post.
- Top ten links on a subject.
- Contrarian view: why a certain strategy is wrong.
- "Op Ed": Your opinion on a topical issue.
- Post an excerpt from one of your white papers, or from your book, if you are an author.
- Seasonal posts (back to school, holidays, etc).
- Post a video about any of the above topics.
- Compilation of "Best of" posts.
This week's action plan: If you haven't started a blog, set a schedule (weekly is good), and then email yourself a post each week for a few months. If you can stick to it, then actually start the blog - you already have a backlog. If you do have a blog, how many different types of posts have you made? This week, try something different.
Randall Craig is an expert on Social Media Strategy and Social Media Policy; to find out how his workshops, webinars, and keynotes can help your team or add to your event, contact him through www.RandallCraig.com, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make It Happen Tipsheet
Comments or questions? let us know: email@example.com
Copyright © 2010 Knowledge to Action Press and Randall Craig. All rights reserved.
Publication Date: September 7, 2010
|>>To newsletter index